Sunday 22 September 2013

Bird, wildlife and flower log, 16-22 September 2013

This week we've been away for a few days visiting Steve's parents in Birmingham, so I thought there would not be so much to say about what has been going on at The Brambles but it turns out I have plenty.

No new photos this week, instead here is a photo of Mr Chaffinch that I took a while back.

Mr Chaffinch © 2013 Natasha Forder
Monday whilst out feeding the birds Master Black appeared and even though I got close to where I had put the worms down for him and the song bird food, to restock the seed hangers he didn't move. Watched me for a bit and then carried on eating. Usually when I appear again he dashes under the mahonia but today he stayed there while I got close. He must have been about a metre away. I suspect if I had tried to take a photo he would have been gone before I'd had time to raise my camera!

Master Black was also around when I arrived home Sunday. I went straight outside to restock the bird food and there he was having a bath in one of the drinkers! I didn't realise until I was really close. He looked at me and then carried on!

Wednesday before we left Mrs Sparrowhawk appeared, this is the second time I've seen a female in the garden, it is usually a male. The blackbirds and chaffinches were around. I saw one of the Mr Blacks head for the cover of the mahonia and then out of nowhere was the sparrowhawk. I am not sure if it got anything, I couldn't see, but somehow I think it did.

There were two male blackbirds around that morning and both were not looking so good. They both look like they are going bald. With the Real Mr Black looking worse.

I also had to rescue another little frog from one of the drinkers again this week, so I've removed that one for the moment as it appears they can't seem to get out of it once in.

The little owl was also noisy at the beginning of the week. It's been ages since I've heard the tawny so I wonder what has happened to it. Bird calls are not my strong point and I have to listen to lots examples before I can make a decision on what I am hearing, blackbirds being an exception!

Birds Wildlife and Insects Flowers
Blackbird – male, female, juvenile Grey squirrels Lobelia x speciosa fan salmon
Great spotted woodpecker - male, female, juvenile Snail Ceratostigma plumbaginoides
Chaffinch - male, female Slug Coreopsis grandiflora rising
Greenfinch - male, female, juvenile Frog (little) Coreopsis sunray
Blue tit - adult, juvenile
Gaillardia sunburst yellow
Great tit - adult, juvenile
Sedum
Dunnock - adult
Begonia
Robin - adult, juvenile
Sunflower
Jay - adult

Magpie - adult

Crow - adult

Nuthatch - adult

Woodpigeon - adult, juvenile

Collared dove - adult

Coal tit
Sparrowhawk - female
Little owl - sound of

No comments:

Post a Comment